Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe from *Stroganov to Strudel* (Great Traditional Cooking From Germany, Austria, Hungary & the Czech Republic) fascinated me, mostly because it does something I've never done before. It uses a tart-flavored, strong & zesty marinade & then applies it to tuna or pike steaks *AFTER* they're cooked. Fascination became affection when I also saw it's an easy-to-fix & make-the-day-before dish that's served cold from your fridge, so plan ahead. How cool is that for a luncheon entree or even a cold starter for a dinner party? It will admittedly have greater appeal to an adventurous palate, but I happen to have such a palate! (Pls need note at end of prep Re times shown). *Enjoy* !
FOR FISH STEAKS
- 4 lbs tuna steaks (8 oz ea & may use pike)
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup fish stock
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons capers (bottled, drained & chopped)
- 2 dill pickles (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- FOR FISH STEAKS: Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4 (180C or 350F). Put fish steaks in a baking dish in a single layer.
- Brush tops of steaks w/butter, turn over & brush all surfaces liberally w/the remainder of the butter. Drizzle fish steaks w/dry sherry & season well w/salt & pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 min, or till just tender. Remove from oven & set aside to cool.
- FOR MARINADE: While fish is baking, combine water, vinegar, fish stock, onion, spices & bay leaf in a saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat & simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat & allow to cool b4 adding capers, dill pickle & olive oil.
- When all is cool (should be about the same time), pour marinade over fish steaks, cover w/plastic wrap & refrigerate for 24 hrs, basting w/marinade 2-3 times.
- TO SERVE: Serve cold topped w/marinade ingredients & accompanied by a green salad, dill pickles, slices of pumpernickel or rye bread & butter.
- NOTE RE TIMES: Time DOES NOT include time for fish steaks & marinade to cool & then marinate under refrigeration. Cooking time for fish steaks & marinade has been combined as they are done at the same time. :-).