Marinated Duck Breast With Mango Salsa
- 4 duck breasts
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemongrass, fresh chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 large mangoes or 1 (425 g) can mangoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce (some brands can be very sweet, you may want to combine chili sauce with sweet chili so it is not to )
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 4 slices bacon, cut into strips
- 200 g mixed salad greens (radicchio, rocket, iceberg etc..)
- 2 tablespoons watercress, for the top
- 2 slices bread
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried parsley (approximately enough to sprinkle on bread)
- 1⁄2 cup dried basil (approx, to sprinkle on bread)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (approx, to sprinkle on bread)
- 50 ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- Note: prep time does not include marinating time.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl, mix well, add duck and combine, marinade for several hours or overnight.
- For the mango salsa combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well, cover and refrigerate an hour or two before serving.
- Heat an unoiled pan. Prick duck skin all over, add duck skin side down to pan, cook until browned and crisp. (you will have to drain the fat several times while cooking as there is a lot of fat in the skin of a duck.) Spread about a teaspoon of marinade onto the meat of the breast then place on a wire rack skin side up. Bake in pre heated oven 180c 20-25 Min's or until cooked as desired. I turn the grill on for the last couple of minutes of cooking to really crisp up the skin.
- Serve duck with mango salsa and green salad.
- For the salad.
- Cook bacon in a pan until browned and crisp. drain on absorbent paper.
- Remove crusts from bread. Butter one side sprinkle with garlic powder, parsley and basil fry in pan until browned and crisp do the same to the other side, repeat with remaining slice of bread, cut both slices into cubes.
- Combine lettuce leaves, homemade crouton's, bacon (reserving enough bacon to throw a few pieces on the top for presentation) in a bowl. Top with watercress. Drizzle with dressing or serve dressing on the side.
- For the dressing combine all the ingredients in a jar and shake well.