Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
A WONDERFUL side dish to have with any meal and especially when the homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers are in season. Simple and easy preparation. Note that another choice of salad dressing is great when using this recipe.
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- red onion (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or splenda)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinaigrette (Kraft's Seven Seas or use Kraft's Zesty Italian salad dressing)
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- Peel and slice cucumbers. Slice tomatoes in one-half. Add red onion, if using.
- Place in a medium size bowl and sprinkle with sugar and salt.
- Add salad dressing and mix.
- Marinate for at least one hour to let flavors blend. Sprinkle with chopped basil and serve. (Preparation time includes marinate time.).
very good. I did add purple onion.
A nice side dish! I did add the onion and used Good Season's Italian dressing which I made with red wine vinegar. I also added some red peppers which were a nice addition. Thanks for sharing this low cal side dish :) Made for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap March 2010.
My mum used to make a similar tomato, cucumber and onion salad which we all loved. I loved the addition of the sugar and the basil leaves to finish. I made a simple oil and red wine vinaigrette of my own with a good grinding of black pepper in it.