Recipe by Elmotoo
These not quite pickles are from a calendar!
Top Review by teresas
Wonderful light side dish. I kept the onion and green pepper on the large size by just slicing them. (based on other reviewers suggestion). I love the sweetness of this dish. It was perfect, not overly sweet and just a touch of tartness. I did cut the recipe in half and put everything (after the 4 hr cooling time) in a large jar and let it sit for 48 hrs in the refrigerator. The cucumber added to the liquid and helped marinate them even more. Thanks for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2009 :)
- 5 medium cucumbers, peeled & cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, celery seed, and salt. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; refrigerate, covered, at least 4 hours.
- In large bowl, combine cucumbers, bell pepper, lemon peel, and onions. Mix well; set aside.
- Add *chilled* sauce to cucumber mix; toss gently. Place in a 2 1/2 quart container; cover & refrigerate until ready to serve.