Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
These not quite pickles are from a calendar!
Make and share this Marinated Cucumbers recipe from Food.com.
- 5 medium cucumbers, peeled & cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In large saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, celery seed, and salt. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; refrigerate, covered, at least 4 hours.
- In large bowl, combine cucumbers, bell pepper, lemon peel, and onions. Mix well; set aside.
- Add *chilled* sauce to cucumber mix; toss gently. Place in a 2 1/2 quart container; cover & refrigerate until ready to serve.
Wonderful light side dish. I kept the onion and green pepper on the large size by just slicing them. (based on other reviewers suggestion). I love the sweetness of this dish. It was perfect, not overly sweet and just a touch of tartness. I did cut the recipe in half and put everything (after the 4 hr cooling time) in a large jar and let it sit for 48 hrs in the refrigerator. The cucumber added to the liquid and helped marinate them even more. Thanks for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2009 :)
Really nice cucumber salad. I made this earlier today after a visit to my garden. I used orange bell peppers and a red onion. I also kept them is slivers rather than chop them. Loved that I didn't feel like I was eating a bowl of Bread and Butter pickles, some cucumber salads are simply to sweet and soggy for me to enjoy. This one had great crunch! There's enough left to go with dinner tonight, if not I spied another cuke out there and will simply slice it up and add it to the juice left over.
I'm diabetic and I made this with Splenda instead of sugar and it turned out fantastic. Really, really yummers!