Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From the book, Heart of the Palms. Preparation time does not include marinating time.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 Cornish hens
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- Combine oil, 1/2 tsp oregano and garlic salt.
- Pour over hens and marinate in refrigerator over night, turning several times.
- Tie legs of hens together and roll in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Brown in oil in large Dutch oven.
- Add water, sherry, remaining oregano, and paprika.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 1 1/2 hours.
- Optional step: Livers and gizzards may be cooked separately until tender, chopped and added to gravy before serving.