Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was given to my mother by a dear friend. I use pre-packaged slaw mix that has the carrots already in it and just add the onions. Also, I use Canola oil instead of Crisco. This can be made "days" in advance as it gets better as it sits.
- 2 (907.18 g) package coleslaw mix
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml salt
- 14.79 ml garlic powder
- 236.59 ml cider vinegar
- 158.51 ml Crisco cooking oil (I use canola oil)
- Bring to boil, cider vinegar, oil, sugar, salt & garlic powder, stirring.
- Pour the hot dressing over the 2 lbs of cabbage mixture and onions and stir (It will look like there is not enough dressing for the amount of cabbage, but as the cabbage breaks down, you will have plenty).
- Cover tightly.
- Let sit on the counter for 2 hours (stirring occasionaly during the 2 hours while it marinates), then refrigerate.
This is excellent!!! Easy to make and a great make ahead dish. Marinating on the counter is the secret.
This is Excellent!! I had questions and asked Merlot about it. She uses 2 bags of slaw mix, and stirs it occasionally while marinating. Also, when you first combine the dressing with the slaw mix it Does Not look like there’s enough dressing, but there is Plenty. It also sounds like a lot of salt, but it was just fine. I made ½ the recipe, (there's just 2 of us tonight) and forgot to halve the garlic powder, but it was not too much garlic for us. Thank-you Merlot for sharing this wonderful recipe!
This was exactly what I was looking for. I try not to eat processed things like mayo and yet wanted a coleslaw. I made a couple adjustments to fit for healthier eating but it was wonderful!! Here's what I did...I used extra virgin olive oil instead of canola, honey instead of sugar, fresh grated garlic instead of garlic powder, green onions instead of regular, sea salt instead of regular and put it over rainbow slaw (shredded/grated cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots). Absolutely wonderful job Merlot!