Recipe by Merlot
This recipe was given to my mother by a dear friend. I use pre-packaged slaw mix that has the carrots already in it and just add the onions. Also, I use Canola oil instead of Crisco. This can be made "days" in advance as it gets better as it sits.
- 2 (1 lb) packages coleslaw mix
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup Crisco cooking oil (I use canola oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring to boil, cider vinegar, oil, sugar, salt & garlic powder, stirring.
- Pour the hot dressing over the 2 lbs of cabbage mixture and onions and stir (It will look like there is not enough dressing for the amount of cabbage, but as the cabbage breaks down, you will have plenty).
- Cover tightly.
- Let sit on the counter for 2 hours (stirring occasionaly during the 2 hours while it marinates), then refrigerate.