Recipe by MarieRynr
This is wonderfuly delicious. Served on a pretty platter, this cold chicken, tender breast meat marinated in an oil and vinegar dressing, strongly flavoured with lemon and tarragon, makes a change from the more often used mayonnaise dressing.
Top Review by federico
I decided not to rate this becuase, after experimenting with tarragon over the past few days, I've realized that I just don't like it. Needless to say, I therefore didn't find this dish to be very good. It was easy to make -- I cooked the chicken in the crockpot -- but the tarragon seemed to overpower the other flavors in the dressing. So my advice is to stay away from this dish if you don't like tarragon. Thank you, captian obvious.
- 6 chicken breasts, with skin on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 fluid ounces vegetable stock
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 fresh lemon rind, of grated
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 6 fluid ounces olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 4 ounces green olives
- fresh tarragon leaf
- grated fresh lemon rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Arrange the chicken breasts, skin side up, in a deep ovenproof dish that is not too large, so that they remain closely packed.
- Brush the skins wih olive oil.
- Pour in enough vegetable stock to cover partially but not submerge them.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, then remove and allow to cool in the stock before refrigerating.
- To make the dressing: combine the lemon rind and uuice with the vinegar, then add the garlic, mustard, sugar and oil.
- Season with salt and pepper, mix well and then add the chopped tarragon leaves.
- Lift the chicken breasts from the stock and remove the skins.
- Slice the meat diagonally or shred with a fork.
- Place the pieces in a bowl, pour over the dressing and marinate in teh refrigerator until serving time.
- To serve, arrange the chicken pieces in a shallow serving dish and scatter with olives, tarragon leaves and grated lemon rind.