Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was given to me by a friend. I have made it several times, and it doesn't last long! It does take a while to prepare, but it is worth it. Great presentation and delicious flavors.
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- 1 dash black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- Cut cheddar cheese and cream cheese into 1/4 inch slices, then again in half.
- Using a small dish, place cheese slices on end alternating cheddar and cream cheese.
- Make the marinade by combining sugar, basil, salt, pepper, oil, vinegar, pimento, parsley, onion and garlic.
- Pour marinade over cheese, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve with crackers.
This recipe is INCREDIBLE!! I had at a party the other evening and couldn't stop eating it. I can't wait to make it for my family for Christmas! UPDATE: while a little time consuming to assemble, it is well worth it. Putting the cream cheese in the freezer for about 30 minutes helped it to keep its shape better as you sliced it. Also, I don't recommend substituting red wine vinegar for the white. It overpowered the other flavors a little bit. Everyone enjoyed it, and it was a lovely addition to our assortment of appetizers.
This was quite tasty - and easy. I used Triscuits - between the crackers and the appetizer something was rather salty - could just be me - I'm "sensitive" to salt - I'll be making this again though. I used Philly Cream cheese, and a White Sharp Cheddar cheese. Update: It was the triscuits that were so salty - by the way - the longer the chesse marinates - the better it becomes!
Really good! I've eaten this many times, but just made for the first time. It's delicious as well as beautiful. Prepared the night before on a serving platter with high sides. Just remember to pull out of the fridge early, it shouldn't be served cold. Served with crackers. Thanks for sharing the recipe!