Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great hors d'oeuvre, served with an assortment of crackers. Keep the cream cheese cool for easier cutting. Start and end the layers with cheddar cheese. Three pieces of cheddar and two pieces of cream cheese per stack.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, drained
- 3 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 3 teaspoons green onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, chilled
- Mix everything but the cheeses together in the marinating container.
- Slice the cheddar from one end into thin strips.
- Cut the cream cheese in half (use a wet knife) so you get two 3”x5”x1/2” pieces,.
- then slice the pieces from the end to form strips.
- Alternate strips of cheddar and cream cheese (start with cheddar and finish with cheddar).
- to form 2” high stacks.
- Place in the marinade and let sit 2 hours.
- Serve with a variety of crackers.
I enjoyed the flavor of the marinade but didn't think that it went so well with the cheddar cheese. I liked it better as a dipping sauce for crusty Italian bread.