Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Found this recipe on the net somewhere and have adapted it to suit our tastes. It continues to be a family favourite to this very day.
- 2 heads broccoli, broken into flowerettes
- 1 head cauliflower, broken in flowerettes
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 3 -4 stalks celery
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- Blanch broccoli and cauliflower until just tender.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl combine cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, celery and onion.
- In a saucepan, place the vinegar, poppy seeds, sugar, mustard, salt and oil.
- Boil until the sugar has disslved.
- Pour the marinade over the vegetables and mix well.
- Chill overnight before serving.
Wonderful! So refreshing! I made this with our Thanksgiving meal and the family pulled this out first when foraging for leftovers! I prepared this at our lake house and had to make substitutions due to a lack of ingredients at hand...I reduced the oil and sugar when I added 1/2 cup honey mustard for a lack of dry mustard. I also added a teaspoon celery seed for lack of poppy seeds. Different but equally delicious!! This will be added to my collection of keepers!!! **** Re-reviewing this. I have made this as published and it is super! I have made this salad over and over again since I first tried it in 2002. It is a family tradition now :)
This was really good! I cut down on the sugar, though, and added a little more salt. I also put baby carrots in it.