Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
An Asian take on a French salad.
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄2 cup grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup fresh carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ginger juice (squeezed fro 2 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger)
- In a medium bowl, toss the shredded carrots with the garlic, vingear, 1/2 cup of the cilantro and 1/4 cup of the grapeseed or olive oil. Season the carrots with salt and pepper. Let the carrots stand for 15 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, boil the carrot juice over moderate heat until it is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Let the reduced carrot juice cool slightly, then transfer to a bowl. Whisk in the mayonnaise, sesame oil, ginger juice and the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Season the carrot dressing generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the carrot dressing and the remaining 1/2 cup of cilantro to the carrots and toss the salad well. Transfer to a shallow bowl and serve immediately. Enjoy!
This salad is so refreshing. The flavor of the dressing is light and sweet. I kept my carrots a bit larger (I love a big crunch) then the recipe called for. I also added a bit of basil because I am sure my basil plant will be frozen any day now.