Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This calamari is so juicy and tender. The squid is tenderised by overnight soaking in milk. Tossed in flour and deep fried. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and a salad on the side. Any quantities of squid can be used for this recipe- just adjust ingredient amounts to suit.
- 4 medium squid, use the hoods sliced into rings
- 1 cup milk
- 1 garlic cloves or 1 use bottled minced garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour or 1⁄2 cup use gluten-free flour
- Slcie the squid into rings and place in a small mixing bowl.
- Cover the squid with milk (use more or less as required. Add garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours (or at least overnight).
- Drain the calamari and discard the milk. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Toss calamari in flour. I use a large plastic bag to do this.
- Deep fry until golden. Serve hot.
- Do not overcook the calamari as it may toughen.
- NOTE: Cooking time does not include overnight marination time.
Mmmmm! I prepared exactly as described, the thing I loved about the long marination time was that it allowed it do be deep-fried a little longer than I'd normally do which gave a great crispness to the flour coating while remaining tender on the inside. Only change I made was the number of servings, the two of us had no problems devouring the full quantity it was so good!
Most definitely made this recipe for some neighbors for their dinner the other night ~ They'd expressed an interest in some unusual seafoods, so . . . I cut the recipe in half & since I knew nothing at all about making this kind of dish, I followed the ingredients & directions to a T! Enjoyed making it, & was just as happy taking it next door rather than serving it here! That, along with several servings of mussels, & my neighbors were in heaven & LOVED BOTH DISHES, thought me a master chef (big laugh!) & couldn't praise this dish enough! So, definitely a 5 star rating! [Made & reviewed while touring Italy on Zaar's World Tour 4]
From a "Naughtie" to another "Naughtie" also reviewed by 2 other "Naughties" just saying this is the beezzzz kneezzz. I loved, no adored the garlic in this, and just as you might suspect, this was tender as a lamb. I didn't get to marinate the whole time, but no matter, this was as enjoyable, ok, even better then what we get in the local seafood restaurants! Lovely, deep fried, and succulent. Made for ZWT6 by another ol' Naughtie from ZWT3. Hugs Jubes!