Recipe by gailanng
An easy starter from London restaurateur Yotam Ottolenghi. This is probably one of the simplest yet finest starters you can offer. You will also need a top-quality buffalo mozzarella.
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 15 basil leaves, shredded
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons best-quality extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to finish
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maldon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 -9 ounces buffalo mozzarella
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes (red, yellow or mixed)
- crusty French bread, sliced and toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the marinade. Scatter the fennel seeds in a small frying pan over medium heat and dry-roast until they begin to pop. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and crush roughly. Place the crushed seeds in a small bowl and add the remaining marinade ingredients.
- Break the mozzarella roughly with your hands. Smear it with the marinade and set aside for 15-30 minutes to absorb the flavors.
- To serve, cut the tomatoes into wedges and plate along with the marinated mozzarella. Drizzle with extra olive oil. Serve along with crusty French bread slices.