Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Sunset’s book, Fresh Produce A to Z. Cook time doesn’t include 1-2 hour refrigeration time. Nutrition per serving of vegetables: 216 calories, 5 g protein, 14 g carbohydrates, 17 g total fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 51 mg sodium; per tablespoon of marinade: 89 calories, 0 g protein, 2 g carbohydrates, 9 g total fat, 0 mg cholesterol, .17 mg sodium.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green onion, thinly sliced (including tops)
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup salad oil
- Rinse broccoli. Cut off and discard base of stalks, leaving about 3 ½ inches of stalks below flowerets. Cut stalk and flowerets lengthwise into spears. Cut flowerets into bite-size pieces; peel stalks, then cut diagonally into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Steam broccoli: arrange spears or pieces on a rack. Steam until barely tender-crisp to bite (2 to 3 minutes). Immerse in cold water; when cold, drain well. In a large bowl, combine broccoli, mushrooms, onions, and celery.
- Stir together sugar and vinegar until sugar is dissolved. Stir in paprika, celery seeds, and oil. Pour over vegetable mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.