Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This salad makes a perfect tangy side dish for baked fish, a creamy casserole or a savory tart.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 stalk broccoli, peeled and cut into spears
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2 1/2 x 1/4 inch sticks
- Whisk together all the marinade ingredients and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, blanch the broccoli spears in boiling water for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and continue to simmer for 5 minutes or less, until both vegies are just tender and still brightly colored.
- Drain them and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Pour the marinade on the vegetables and toss well.
- Refrigerate or set aside at room temperature for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to permeate.
Tish, this was a great salad. Actually, I served it as a side dish, but everyone loved it, including me, and I dont like cooked carrots. It was easy to put together and store in the refrigerator until dinner. I let it set at room temperature for about an hour before serving. They colors were vivid, and just beautiful. Thanks for posting. I will make this again....... going into my T&T book.
Tish, this salad is outstanding!! Only thing I changed was to cut back on the ginger a wee-bit (personal taste), and added some ground black pepper to the dressing. Next time, I will be sure to double this!! Thank you! ~Manda UPDATE: Since I have found this recipe, I have made it a zillion times, trying new combos of veggies and they were all wonderful (cauliflower, onion, green/red pepper, etc.) I just made this yesterday, and mixed in some cooked and cooled brown rice, and it was awesome!! Also, if there is leftover marinade in the bottom of the bowl, don't toss it!! It makes a wonderful salad dressing for drizzling over fresh greens. Oh, I just LOOVE this stuff!! Thank you again, Tish:) ~Manda
Served with special sunday dinner with pork tenderloin, it was a big hit!! wonderful way to serve carrots especially! Great to make ahead and refrigerate, less to do at dinner time. The blend of flavours was outstanding!I did let it come to room temperature before serving and we will certainly make these again, thanks for sharing.