Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Wonderful roasted leg of lamb. Either you drool over it or you despise it. You can also BBQ this recipe. Very tender results from this recipe
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushe
- 6 -7 lbs leg of lamb, deboned
- Marinate the lamb overnight in the fridge.
- Drain the meat next morning but reserve the marinade.
- Put the leg on a rack, fat side up.
- Brush with marinade and broil for 10 minutes on each side or until golden, baste occasionally.
- Place lamb on middle rack lower temp to 325f and roast until just pink apprx 2 hrs (depending on the size of the roast)- Check internal temp and if done ahead of the time remove from oven and cover with foil.
- Remember that the lamb will continue to cook even out of the oven.
- For the last 40 minutes roast some potatoes around the roast.
My first foray into cooking and eating leg o' lamb, and I must say--what a GREAT introduction this was! Very tasty--the aroma while its baking is unbelievably rich. I followed recipe exactly, except I shoved a knife into the roast (after the broiling part) and forced a few sprigs of rosemary into the meat. Also, I added about a cup of water to the bottom of the baking pan to get some steamy-stuff going on. With about 40 minutes left to the baking time, I added small potatoes to the pan (they sat in the little bit of water-drippings) to roast them alongside the meat....mmmmm! Served with roasted baby carrots (glazed w/brown sugar). Dessert was a pumpkin cheesecake (also from RecipeZaar!). Yummy Christmas dinner. Thank you Bergy for another "count on it!" recipe.
This turned out really well. The middle was still a little rare, so we just threw it back on for a little while longer but the flavors were tasty.
This recipe has made me love lamb. My husband goes crazy for it and asks for it all the time. I used cider vinegar since that is what i had on hand at the time. The meat comes out tasting so sweet.