Recipe by GertieMcFlirty
SOURCE: Fran Gerling recipe in Texas Highways Cookbook, Joanne Smith (UT Press, 1986)
- 4 cups black-eyed peas, cooked
- 1 cup celery, finely sliced
- 4 ounces green chilies, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup purple onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian dressing
- red cabbage leaf, for garnish
- minced green onion top, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In large glass bowl, combine all ingredients except garnish, stirring to mix well.
- If liquid does not cover peas in bowl, add a little more dressing.
- Marinate, covered, in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Drain excess salad dressing, and spoon salad onto a shallow bowl lined with red cabbage leaves.
- Garnish with green onion tops.