Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This recipe comes from our local newspaper, it's a wonderful recipe for bean salad. You can also add in a can or two of drained whole mushrooms, and use a red bell pepper in place of green. Plan ahead this needs to chill for 24 hours.
- 1 (14 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can yellow beans, drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the beans and toss well to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill for 24 hours.
- Drain before serving.
Very nice bean salad, Kittencal! I like the addition of the garbanzo beans that I have not found in other bean salads. Thanks for posting!
I made this for Christmas Eve dinner and really enjoyed it. I thought the extra spices took away the "canned" taste of the veggies. Roxygirl in Colo.
This is a great side dish that can me made a day ahead of time (a real bonus)! We love beans and loved the dressing for this. Letting the beans marinate 24 hours is the secret to this dish. Thanks so much, KittenCal Bass for sharing a gread bean salad. :-)