Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found this recipe in a Quick Cooking cook book and revised it just a little to suit my family's taste. Hope you enjoy. Cook time is mostly chill time. It needs to be in the fridge long enough to chill completely. I do like to make mine the day before I intend to serve.
- 1 (15 ounce) can French style green beans
- 1 3⁄4 cups frozen English peas
- 1 3⁄4 cups frozen white shoepeg corn
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, drained and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Pour over veggies and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. I do mine the night before I intend to serve.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.
This was good, but I thought it needed something extra, so I added in some garlic powder, salt and black pepper, I also cut down the sugar a bit, and I am glad that I did as it would have been too sweet for our tastes. Thanks JQ!...Kitten
A lovely crispy, crunchy side salad. One of the things that this salad has to its advantage is that the simplicity of the seasonings allows the wonderful flavor of the vegetables to stand out. Also, the red onion balances out the sweetness of the sugar (Splenda in my case). Moreover, it also pairs well with an assortment of main course dishes. For the life of me I couldn't find white corn, shoepeg or other, so I used yellow. Also chose to skip the pimento in favor of additional red peppers. For dinner, I served this with a simple grilled chicken after 4 hours of letting the brew sit. I've taken the leftovers and mixed in a can of tuna as a perfect lunch. Next time, I'm thinking that frozen green beans instead of canned as they taste a bit fresher and will be crispy like the other veggies. Thanks JQ!
My aunt makes this every Thanksgiving and it is one of my favorites! I could sit down with the bowl and a spoon and be perfectly content. :)