Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This flavorful chilled salad is wonderful year around, but is especially nice during the hot summer afternoons. And it keeps wonderfully well in the fridge! Adapted from a recipe by Cooking Light, 1997. Prep time includes chilling.
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn or 1 cup yellow wax bean
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans (or other favorite red beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can black soybeans
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In a colander in the sink, add the corn, green beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans; rinse them well then let drain.
- In a large bowl combine the onion and remaining ingredients and the mixture in the colander and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a container with a cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, stirring or shaking occasionally.
- Note: also good with yellow wax beans and a bit of black olive added - I omit the corn and substitute the yellow wax beans.
This was wonderful and very easy to make! I took it to a BBQ and got tons of compliments. It went very nicely with other Italian style side dishes like pesto pasta, mozzarella salad etc.
wonderful! A quick, easy, healthy, cold salad. Great with garden greens on those hot summer days.