Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I am addicted to baked tofu!! Thank you Mollie Katzen and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest for the excellent marinade recipe! The tofu never lasts long enough to make it into a stir-fry at my house. I end up eating it by itself. I love it hot or cold. And of course absolutely everything to do with this recipe can be adapted to taste or what you have in the kitchen. Enjoy!
- 453.59 g package firm tofu or 453.59 g package extra firm tofu, in water
- 44.37-59.16 ml soy sauce
- 1-2 minced garlic clove, to taste
- 14.79 ml fresh grated ginger, to taste
- 14.79 ml sesame oil
- 14.79 ml rice vinegar
- 4.92-9.85 ml honey (optional) or 4.92-9.85 ml sugar (optional)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- Drain tofu and cut into 1" cubes.
- Mix all other ingredients together except olive oil.
- Pour marinade over tofu and cover.
- Refrigerate overnight or longer (I've left it for 3 nights).
- Lightly grease baking pan or sheet with olive oil.
- Arrange tofu in single layer on sheet, making sure not to forget the garlic and ginger from the marinade dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, flipping tofu at least once during the process, until brown and slightly crispy.
This is a GREAT recipe, **BUT** having used similar recipes in the past, you must add water- way too salty otherwise. I used a 6.5" square x 3" deep plastic container, added the cubes and marinade and then enough water to cover the cubes. I also added a few shakes of fish sauce.
This had great flavor, but way too salty for me. I think using lite soy sauce would help that. Thanks for the recipe. Oh wow - this was good. Just made it for the second time and used 3 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce. That made all the difference. I also added a few red pepper flakes and broiled for a few minutes after it was done baking. I will be making this often. CAUTION!! This could be dangerous - I could have eaten the whole 16 ounces by myself.
This one was salty but it tasted good. I added only 2Tbs of soy sauce in order to reduce the salt amount. I also added 1Tbs of cooking sake, 1Tbs of Mirin. (or just use 2 Tbs Sake). I used 1Tbs of Agave instead of sugar and red chili flakes for spice. I didn't use vinegar. I baked the tofu with thinly sliced green onion.