Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This spicy chicken smells wonderful when it is cooking. We like it served with baked acorn squash and green beans with apple crisp for dessert. Prep time does not include overnight marinating. time (8 hours or overnight). Recipe source: Bon Appetit (October 1984)
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed anise seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine soy sauce, onion, ginger and garlic in a shallow marinating dish or bowl.
- Add chicken, turn and marinate in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain, discarding marinade.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place chicken in a baking dish, big enough for the chicken to fit in one layer.
- Combine remaining ingredients (cinnamon-pepper) in a small bowl or tea cup and sprinkle over chicken.
- Bake one hour, turning once.
We didn't care for this at all. I made as directed except I used chicken breast and cut the spices in half,but used the full marinate for 8 hours. We did not care for the combination. I fixed 4 chicken breast and used your recipe on 2 and mine on the other 2 just in case. We had never had anise seed before, but I think it was the clove that we didn't care for in this recipe.
Delicious, moist chicken, I used boneless,skinless chicken breast making it for 2 people, Cut the amount of marinate in half. Marinated it all day. We loved the flavor of all the spices. Baked it for about 45 minutes. i will be making this again, Thank you Ellie for the recipe.