Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Be sure to buy a colorful assortment of baby vegetables. Serve as a side for roasted meat or fish, as an antipasto with salami and breadsticks, or as an appetizer with crusty bread and goat cheese. The cooking time is sit and marinade time.
- 6 cups baby vegetables (assorted trimmed, such as halved fingerling and purple potatoes, baby carrots, brussels sprouts, cau)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup champagne vinegar
- 4 small bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- Steam all vegetables until potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Meanwhile, bring remaining ingredients to boil in medium saucepan, whisking until salt dissolves.
- Pour over vegetables.
- Let marinate at least 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
As I couldn't find champagne vinegar, I simply used white rice vinegar. Veggies I used: white and red potatoes, diced jams, small brussels sprouts, just one red beet (so as not to turn everything red), a variety of mushrooms, shallots, and (unsteamed) one red/green bell pepper. After the marination step, I drained off excess oil and vinegar in order to keep my dietary fat intake down (reserving this for future uses because the seasonings are yummy!) The fennel and the hot pepper flakes are just right!
What a great, easy veggie dish! I used blue, red and yellow potatoes, turnips, carrots, broccoli, cauliflour, zucchini and mushrooms. (The mushrooms, I didn't cook, I just threw them in while the other vegetables were marinating -yummy!) Next time, I will cut back on the salt. My DH loved these vegetables. Thanks for posting!
Went all out with this recipe, using a cup each of red beets, orange carrots, yellow squash, French green beans & purple potatoes! Removed the squash from the steamer first so it wouldn't be mush! Also cut the crushed red pepper back to 1/8 teaspoon! Served at room temperature for a wonderful taste experience! Definietly a keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Newest Zaar Tag cooking game]