Recipe by Hamre Recipes
This marinated eggplant is also wonderful on sandwiches. Eggplants soak up oil like sponges; try salting them before cooking to reduce the amount of oil needed. - from DeliciousLivingMag.com
- 6 baby eggplants (about 8 ounces)
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 individual size prepared prebaked pizza crusts
- 1⁄2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, mix together all marinade ingredients. Set aside.
- Thinly slice eggplant lengthwise. Sprinkle both cut sides of eggplant with salt. Allow eggplant to sit on a paper towel for 15 minutes, until paper towel is saturated. If desired, brush eggplant to remove excess salt.
- In a cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Cover bottom of pan with eggplant (do not stack) and fry until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside and fry any remaining eggplant. Add more olive oil if needed.
- Add eggplant to marinade. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Brush pizza crusts with marinade. Layer eggplant on each crust. Brush with more marinade and top with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes until eggplant is hot and cheese is melted.