Recipe by cookiedog
This is a nice make ahead recipe. The asparagus is so sweet and flavorful that you might want to elimate the dressing altogether. Many guests did enjoy using it to dip the spears in - it totally changes the flavor. You also might consider adding some halved cherry tomatoes to the marinade. The time listed does not include the marination time.
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 2⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream (yogurt)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dill weed
- lettuce leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut asparagus into 2-inch lengths. Place all but the spear tops/crowns into some boiling water in a skillet (should be just enough water to cover). After 2 minutes add the spear tops and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes longer- removing it at the crisp tender stage. Plunge it in cold ice-water to stop cooking. Drain and place in dish.
- Combine ingredients for marinade and pour mixture over asparagus. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. To serve, lift asparagus from marinade and place on lettuce leaves.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt) dill weed and 3 tablespoons of reserved marinade. Mix well. Spoon dressing over asparagus.