Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables and I love preparing it this way. Preparation time includes chilling overnight.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2⁄3 ounce Italian salad dressing mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1⁄4 cup tarragon vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- lettuce leaf, for serving
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (optional)
- Bring about 1/2 cup water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add asparagus, cover and cook until tender, about 6 minutes (Alternatively, you can use 1 1/2 cans (15 ounces each) whole green asparagus spears and skip this step.).
- Drain the asparagus and layer it in a shallow glass dish.
- Sprinkle each layer with crumbled tarragon leaves, pepper and garlic salt.
- Pour salad dressing and vinegar over asparagus, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve chilled asparagus on a bed of lettuce leaves.
- Top with a dollop of mayonnaise (which you can flavor with some of the dressing), if desired.