Recipe by gemini08
A lovely and elegant spring salad when strawberries and asparagus are at their peak. Makes a satisfying lunch when topped with grilled shrimps or scallops. Found the recipe in a local newspaper on my last trip to Austria.
- 1 lb strawberry
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar or 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons walnut oil, or
- 4 tablespoons hazelnut oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped pistachios or 2 teaspoons pecans
- sea salt
- crushed pink peppercorns
- salad greens
Directions See How It's Made
- Quarter strawberries, mix with 2 TBS of agave nectar or honey and let macerate for 1/2 hour or until drawing juice.
- Prepare asparagus by breaking off tough ends, cut on the bias into 2" pieces.
- blanch in boiling lemon water, stems first, add tips after 2 minutes, blanch for one more minute, remove from heat and plunge into ice water to maintain color, do not overcook.
- Prepare vinaigrette by whisking 2 TBS of water, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, honey and a TBS of the strawberry juice together, add asparagus and marinate for at least 1/2 hour.
- Prepare 4 plates with salad greens,
- put the marinated asparagus on the salad greens.
- Top with the strawberries.
- sprinkle with chopped nuts.