Prep 3 hrs
Cook 5 mins
Makes for a pretty presentation. Prep time includes marinating time.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- pimento strips (to garnish) (optional) or diced tomato (to garnish) (optional)
- Remove the bottom third of the asparagus (woody parts of the stalk) and discard. Arrange asparagus in a steaming basket. Cover and cook over boiling water 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Combine wine vinegar, lemon juice salt, sugar, black pepper, cayenne and Dijon mustard stirring well. Gradually add oil, whisking until emulisfied.
- Place asparagus in a 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish; add marinade. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. Drain asparagus.
- Arrange on a serving platter; garnish with pimiento strips or tomatoes if desired.
This is a delicious marinade. I pretty much follow the recipe exactly, although I sometimes substitute white wine for the red wine vinegar. I also add thinly sliced red onion and capers. It's been frequently used and loved, and I apologize for waiting so long to review it!