Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
The marinating of the meat in this recipe gives added flavour. Cooking time does not include marinating time.
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled & crushed)
- 4 slices pork schnitzels
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs (approximately)
- oil (for frying)
- Mix together the soy sauce, lemon juice and garlic in a shallow dish.
- Add meat to dish.
- Marinate for at least 1 hour if possible; make sure all sides are coated.
- Whisk the egg and milk together.
- Spread out the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish or tray.
- When ready to cook, dip meat slices in the egg mixture, shaking off the excess before laying the slices in the breadcrumbs.
- Coat each side well with the crumbs.
- Lay out on another plate/tray and put in refrigerator for approximately 20 minutes to help set the breadcrumbs.
- To Cook:.
- Use enough oil to coat bottom of large frypan.
- Heat until almost smoking.
- Fry schnitzel quickly on both sides. You may have to fry in batches depending on the size of the pan.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon to squeeze over top if desired.
I have made this three times now and liked it every time but the third time was the charm because I actually followed the recipe as written. The first time I marinated it all day and that was too long (over flavored the meat), the next time I marinated for two hours and that still seemed to over season the meat, so I finally followed the directions and marinated for an hour and that was just perfect. My husband especially loves schnitzel and this recipe sends it over the top for me. I did use panko instead of breadcrumbs.
apsolutly fabulous one of my favourates
Great recipe Jen! The marination of the meat gave this a real edge over 'normal' pork schnitzel. I used this to cook Pork and Bacon Skewers (Pork and Bacon Skewers) as pictured but next time will try as a standalone dish.