1/1 Photo of Marinara Sauce With Roasted Butternut Squash and Shallots
3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
Matt Madrid's Note:
A super flavorful sauce that I came up with based on what I had laying in around in the fridge/pantry. It has roasted butternut squash, shallots and bell pepper. Sweet and savory with a slight spicy kick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 large butternut squash
- 6 large shallots
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 5 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Chop the butternut squash into small 1/4 inch pieces. Peel 4 shallots and the garlic cloves. Add to a roasting pan with the butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Season with sal & pepper and roast at 450 degrees for ~45 minutes.
- 2Dice the other two shallots and add them to a bowl with the balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar and 2 tbsp of red wine. Let them macerate for 15 minutes.
- 3Dice the carrots, cellery and bell pepper. Sweat in a sauce pot with 1 tbsp oil for ~ 20 minutes until vegytables are soft.
- 4Add the macerated shallots and the rest of the wine to the mix and cook to reduce the wine by half. about 5 minutes.
- 5Add the roasted squash, shallots and garlic to the pot. Blend with an emulsion blender until smooth and slightly chunky.
- 6Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 hours.
- 7Allow to cool and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to marry.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marinara Sauce With Roasted Butternut Squash and Shallots
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 49.9
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.5 mg
- Sodium 216.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: