Cook2 hrs 45 mins
A super flavorful sauce that I came up with based on what I had laying in around in the fridge/pantry. It has roasted butternut squash, shallots and bell pepper. Sweet and savory with a slight spicy kick.
- 1⁄2 large butternut squash
- 6 large shallots
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 5 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Chop the butternut squash into small 1/4 inch pieces. Peel 4 shallots and the garlic cloves. Add to a roasting pan with the butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Season with sal & pepper and roast at 450 degrees for ~45 minutes.
- Dice the other two shallots and add them to a bowl with the balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar and 2 tbsp of red wine. Let them macerate for 15 minutes.
- Dice the carrots, cellery and bell pepper. Sweat in a sauce pot with 1 tbsp oil for ~ 20 minutes until vegytables are soft.
- Add the macerated shallots and the rest of the wine to the mix and cook to reduce the wine by half. about 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted squash, shallots and garlic to the pot. Blend with an emulsion blender until smooth and slightly chunky.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 hours.
- Allow to cool and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to marry.