Recipe by CIndytc
This is the marinara sauce that you can use making Chicken, Pasta, and Chickpea Stew...
Top Review by Cindy S.
Love this sauce!!! and easy....my 10 yr old son loves to make it by himself. We sometimes add finely chopped zucchini or carrots (any veggie works) to it for some additional nutrition, as well.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 3 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add sugar and next 7 ingredients (through fennel seeds); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in vinegar; cook 30 seconds.
- Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a simmer.
- Cook over low heat for 55 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. The longer is simmers on low the richer the taste will be.
- Can cook sauce to room temperature and store in containers in freezer for future use.