24 hrs 30 mins
This is the marinara sauce that you can use making Chicken, Pasta, and Chickpea Stew...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 3 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3Add sugar and next 7 ingredients (through fennel seeds); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 4Stir in vinegar; cook 30 seconds.
- 5Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a simmer.
- 6Cook over low heat for 55 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. The longer is simmers on low the richer the taste will be.
- 7Can cook sauce to room temperature and store in containers in freezer for future use.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marinara Sauce from Cooking Light
Serving Size: 1 (3444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.3
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 896.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 2.2 g