Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Okay, this is the biggy recipe that is a staple in our family going back generations. It is the recipe responsible for probably half of the fat on my posterior!!!! LOL If you want to make it with meatballs, the family recipe is Sicilian Meatballs....
- 12 links italian sweet sausage or 12 meatballs
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounces water
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup merlot (optional) or 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 1⁄8 cup sugar (optional)
- Brown sausage in separate pan.
- Garlic press the garlic (or mince) and brown in the olive oil in a large pot. When brown, add sliced onion and cook until slightly translucent.
- Add tomatoe paste to onion mixture and mix thoroughly. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper and water and stir well.
- Finally, add sausage (and/or meatballs--see my other recipe) and bring to light boil.
- Once boiling, decrease heat to simmer and cover . Cook on simmer for 3-4 hours stirring occassionly.
- If you can't wait the full 3-4 hours add a dash of sugar and it equals about 1 hour of cooking time.
- Add red wine during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Suggestion: Serve over pasta with grated parmesan, salad, and bread -- .
Wow! This sauce is incredible... really! I did half the recipe, to my family's disappointment, but won't next time. I used your meatball recipe and added add'l sugar since I only had one hour to simmer. We didn't use the wine. Grandma's sauce is a good name because it definitely had the comforting, delicious flavor! I highly recommend trying this savory sauce!
This marinara is exceptional - and I don't think I will ever use another! I've been looking for one that called for onion, garlic and basil, but didn't include oregano, because to me, that's so pizza.. LOL.. I plan on making your Sicilian meatballs on Sunday and crush some up to use in a lasagna. If grandma's marinara is this good, I can't wait to try her meatballs! Thanks so much for posting this, I think this recipe is in my top-3 favorite finds in Recipezaar so far..
I would give this sauce 10 stars if there were 10 to give!! It's perfect in every way!