Recipe by Ilysse
This recipe is from the Playboy Gourmet cookbook from 1961. Oddly enough there are some very good recipes in here. I made the cheese optional. I've never seen another marinara recipe that calls for cheese and frankly it bothers me but the recipe does call for it.
- 1 medium onion, chop fine
- 2 garlic cloves, chop fine
- 793.78 g tomatoes
- 44.37 ml butter or 44.37 ml olive oil
- 170.09 g tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 8 anchovy fillets
- 44.37 ml parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- salt, pepper, sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the tomatoes fine (I use petite diced) reserving the juice.
- Add butter or olive oil to a large saucepan along with the onion and garlic. Heat slowly, stirring often. You want the onion to be soft but don't let it get brown.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices, the tomato paste, the bay leaf and the oregano.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the sauce is thick.
- Chop the anchovies fine and add to the sauce.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the cheese, mixing well.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Be careful not to over salt as the anchovies and cheese may be salty enough.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Use to top a pound of cooked spaghetti or your favorite pasta.