Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the Playboy Gourmet cookbook from 1961. Oddly enough there are some very good recipes in here. I made the cheese optional. I've never seen another marinara recipe that calls for cheese and frankly it bothers me but the recipe does call for it.
- Chop the tomatoes fine (I use petite diced) reserving the juice.
- Add butter or olive oil to a large saucepan along with the onion and garlic. Heat slowly, stirring often. You want the onion to be soft but don't let it get brown.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices, the tomato paste, the bay leaf and the oregano.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the sauce is thick.
- Chop the anchovies fine and add to the sauce.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the cheese, mixing well.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Be careful not to over salt as the anchovies and cheese may be salty enough.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Use to top a pound of cooked spaghetti or your favorite pasta.