Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the cookbook How to Slice an Onion. Fresh tasting and delicious!
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Crush tomatoes with a potato masher. Film bottom of large wide pot with olive oil over medium heat. (I use a skillet). Add onions, saute until soft. Add garlic, cook 2 minutes. Add oregano, red pepper, sugar, salt and pepper and stir. Add tomatoes and paste, rinsing both cans with water and adding this to pan. Add parsley and lower heat to simmer 30-45 minutes. Add basil, cook a few minutes longer and serve.
I went to go get my jar of marinara sauce and it wasn't there! So I based my sauce loosely on this one, halving it, using diced tomatoes, fresh oregano from the garden and it turned out wonderful. I used over wild rice stuffed cabbage. Thanks!