Recipe by bggio
This classic pasta sauce works real well on its own or with seafood. It really packs alot flavors and melds well for shrimp.
Top Review by Chef lindav #2
This was great! I changed the recipe somewhat as I was cooking and tasting. Left all ingredients the same except for I used 10 cloves of garlic (we love garlic) 1-1/2 Tabl oregano, 2 Tabl basil, 1-1/2 teas. marjoram, 1/4 teas. crushed red pepper, 2 Tabl sugar, 1 small can tomato paste, 1 teas. Italian seasoning, I didn't have any Chardonnay wine so I just used a white cooking wine. After a steady good simmering for about 30-45 minutes I put it in a blender for a very short time and returned it to simmering an additional 30-45 minutes (or longer just to get a thicker consistency). It was packed with flavor. I used shrimp, scallops and mussels on linguini. My family loved it, even my 4-yr old granddaughter who is sometimes a very picky eater! I've always wanted a good recipe for Marinara Sauce and you provided me with one to begin with. Thank you!
- 12 large ripe tomatoes, skinned
- 2 onions, chopped fine
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup Chardonnay wine
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- in a boiling pot of water place tomatoes for a few minutes to loosen skins and peal.
- place tomatoes in a stock post and boil with almost all the olive oil and all the herbs and 4 cloves of garlic with sugar salt, pepper and cayenne and boil down.
- with a patoto masher break down the tomato and add the paste.
- in another large fry pan place 3 tablespoons of olive oil and sweat onions.
- place pepper in the onion mixture and fry for a few minutes then add the rest of the garlic.
- add the white wine for a few minutes and then add to the tomato mixture.
- place tomato on low heat for 30 minutes and add to your favorite pasta if using seafood add your seafood to the amount of sauce you would like to use for the pasta as this makes about 10-12 servings.