Recipe by Ethan's Mom
This sauce accompanies Arancini With Marinara Sauce (As Seen on Martha Stewart).
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (32 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, and their juices (whole)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large, nonreactive skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Place tomatoes in a large bowl, reserving juices. Crush tomatoes using your hands. Add tomatoes and reserved juices to skillet. Stir in red pepper, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat, stir in cheese. Remove bay leaves before serving.