Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From 365 Easy Italian Recipes- a book I live by for Italian cooking. Authentic but fullfilling to the American palate.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (30 ounce) cansitalian whole tomatoes in puree
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In a non reactive saucepan, melt butter with olive oil over medium heat.Add onion and cook until slightly translucent (2-3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute, being careful not to burn.
- Add tomato paste and stir to heat.
- Stir in tomatoes with puree, water, parsley, oregano, salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered 30 minutes.