Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Serve the sauce hot with fresh cooked pasta. Makes about 2 cups. Preparation time does not include time to marinate.
- 1 -2 small fresh red chile, according to taste (such as cascabel)
- 12 large pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes or 1 (16 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes
- Slice each chili and use the tip of a knife to remove seeds.
- In a glass or ceramic bowl, marinate the olive, chilies and capers in 4 tablespoons oil for at least 1 hour. Meanwhile, gently sauté the onion and garlic in the remaining oil until golden. Add the oregano.
- Peel fresh tomatoes; use spoon to scoop out seeds. Chop. (Strain canned tomatoes). Turn all ingredients into a large skillet and cook over medium to high heat until the mixture thickens and darkens slightly. Remove chilies.
- Serve hot.