Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
Here is a marinara sauce to use in Cooking Day for recipes calling for spaghetti sauce or marinara. Combine and let simmer while preparing other OAMC cooking meals, then use for your pasta recipes. I've never measured how many cups it exactly makes but from how much I use, I good range would be about 10-12 cups after simmering. I'm allergic to green peppers so I omit them from any recipe, but feel free to add them or other vegies such as mushrooms to tailor the sauce to the way you like it! For portions, I considered it 10 cups and considered one portion as 1/2 cup (20 portions), but again, I use it for OAMC so it works into other recipes.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt (I prefer garlic sea salt so you can use a little less)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (I use peeled, crushed)
- Heat oil and cook onion til transparent.
- While onion is cooking, add all other ingredients to a cooking pot and mix.
- Add onion when cooked.
- Cook on low for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Portion to OAMC recipes.
- OR - Portion to canning jars and refrigerate or freeze for use as spaghetti sauce.