Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This quick & easy sauce puts even the finest store-bought sauces to shame. Fresh herbs, sauteed onions, and zesty peppers create a rich, hearty sauce, perfect for your favorite pasta dish!
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 2 (822.13 g) can diced tomatoes
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 236.59 ml diced red onion
- 44.37 ml fresh basil, chopped
- 9.85 ml italian seasoning
- 14.79 ml fresh oregano, chopped
- 22.18 ml sugar
- 56.69 g jar diced pimentos
- 2.46-4.92 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 236.59-473.18 ml cooked italian sausage (optional)
- Cook Italian sausage & set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan or pot. Saute onions in oil. Do not brown.
- Drain liquid from diced tomatoes & pour liquid over onions.
- Add basil, Italian seasoning, oregano, sugar, & red peppers. Simmer 30 minutes until reduced by half.
- Add meat, all tomatoes, & pimentos, and cook 1 minute until just heated.
This is a great recipe! We had ravioli for dinner last night, I didnâ€™t want a heavy meat sauce, and my husband loves a spicy marinara, so I tried this recipe. Very easy to make, full of flavor, and it holds well. Five stars all the wayâ€¦ (incidentally, I also made a small pot of my own marinara which is not spicy, my husband likes this one betterâ€¦ his new favorite. Iâ€™ll be making this again and again!)
This is way more complicated than my marinara sauce but it tastes far more complex than my marinara sauce. Makes plenty to freeze for future use. Loved the sausage addition.