Recipe by Mims & Squims
This quick & easy sauce puts even the finest store-bought sauces to shame. Fresh herbs, sauteed onions, and zesty peppers create a rich, hearty sauce, perfect for your favorite pasta dish!
Top Review by CHRISSYG
This is a great recipe! We had ravioli for dinner last night, I didnâ€™t want a heavy meat sauce, and my husband loves a spicy marinara, so I tried this recipe. Very easy to make, full of flavor, and it holds well. Five stars all the wayâ€¦ (incidentally, I also made a small pot of my own marinara which is not spicy, my husband likes this one betterâ€¦ his new favorite. Iâ€™ll be making this again and again!)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 2 (822.13 g) can diced tomatoes
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 236.59 ml diced red onion
- 44.37 ml fresh basil, chopped
- 9.85 ml italian seasoning
- 14.79 ml fresh oregano, chopped
- 22.18 ml sugar
- 56.69 g jar diced pimentos
- 2.46-4.92 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 236.59-473.18 ml cooked italian sausage (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook Italian sausage & set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan or pot. Saute onions in oil. Do not brown.
- Drain liquid from diced tomatoes & pour liquid over onions.
- Add basil, Italian seasoning, oregano, sugar, & red peppers. Simmer 30 minutes until reduced by half.
- Add meat, all tomatoes, & pimentos, and cook 1 minute until just heated.