Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This quick & easy sauce puts even the finest store-bought sauces to shame. Fresh herbs, sauteed onions, and zesty peppers create a rich, hearty sauce, perfect for your favorite pasta dish!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 -2 cup cooked italian sausage (optional)
- Cook Italian sausage & set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan or pot. Saute onions in oil. Do not brown.
- Drain liquid from diced tomatoes & pour liquid over onions.
- Add basil, Italian seasoning, oregano, sugar, & red peppers. Simmer 30 minutes until reduced by half.
- Add meat, all tomatoes, & pimentos, and cook 1 minute until just heated.
This is a great recipe! We had ravioli for dinner last night, I didnâ€™t want a heavy meat sauce, and my husband loves a spicy marinara, so I tried this recipe. Very easy to make, full of flavor, and it holds well. Five stars all the wayâ€¦ (incidentally, I also made a small pot of my own marinara which is not spicy, my husband likes this one betterâ€¦ his new favorite. Iâ€™ll be making this again and again!)
This is way more complicated than my marinara sauce but it tastes far more complex than my marinara sauce. Makes plenty to freeze for future use. Loved the sausage addition.