This is easy, delicious, and quite versatile. While the marinara is cooking, the water for 16 oz. of pasta is put on, and you can make a fresh green salad in the meantime. Your meal is done in no time and don't forget the rustic bread!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 3 large mushrooms, sliced or chopped to preference
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup red wine, to taste
- 6 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped fine or 2 tablespoons frozen homemade pesto sauce
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch finely ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a 4 qt.
- 2pan add and saute onion, celery,and green pepper.
- 3When your onion is clear not brown, add the rest of your ingredients.
- 4Bring to a boil.
- 5Simmer 20-30 minutes.
- 6If you like a thicker sauce can be cooked longer.
- 7This can be used on pasta, etc.
- 8right away or frozen for later use.
- 11--Ifyou prefer a meat sauce use this same recipe, except leave out the beef bouillion.
- 12Brown 1/2 lb.
- 13beef plus 1/2lb.
- 14of pork or use italian sausage meat without the casing.
- 15Meatballs is another variation.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marinara glitter-style
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.5
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 2.8 mg
- Sodium 545.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 3.9 g