1/4 Photos of Marinade: Grilled Chicken With Lemongrass & Chilli
2 hrs 26 mins
2 hrs 6 mins
Chef floWer's Note:
We were on holidays at Surfers Paradise in Queensland Australia. We were out at different restaurants every night. One night we tried Vietnamese. My husband ordered ‘Grilled Chicken with lemongrass & Chilli’ (Ga nuong xa ot). It was quite a surprise when I sampled his chicken, it was mouth-watering. When we got back home I did some research and attempted to make it. Although I didn't find the exact recipe this version is still yummy. I used chicken thigh fillets instead of breast fillets because the meat is juicer and less fibrous (the restaurant served their dish using thighs). They also used the marinade on Beef, Pork, Prawns, Scallops, Squid, Fish Fillets and Vegetables. To prepare the lemongrass, trim and discard the roots. Use a vegetable peeler to whittle the stalks into thin partial slices. I used half freshly whittled lemongrass and half grated lemon grass. I taste the recipe before I placed the meat in and it's so yummy that I would also use it as a dipping sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml lemongrass, see above
- 6 slice lemon zest, strips fresh (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced crushed
- 2-3 shallots, minced
- 2 red chilies, minced
- 9.85 ml light brown sugar (more or less, to taste)
- 44.37 ml fish sauce (nam pla)
- 44.37 ml lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 9.85 ml hot sauce (Vietnamese) or 9.85 ml Tabasco sauce
- 1Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2To prepare the chicken, cut it 7 cm by 7 cms and cut several small incisions across the chicken to soak up the marinade.
- 3Combine marinade and meat (or vegetables) then toss.
- 4You can either place it in a zip lock bag or just use a bowl with cling wrap.
- 5Refrigerate for about 2 hours, turning occasionally. (I marinated mine overnight).
- 6Remove meat from the marinade and grill until cooked and brown. Discard leftover marinade (if there are any of the ingredients left on the meat or vegetables as it may taste bitter if you decide to leave them on).
- 7Traditionally it's grilled on an outdoor grill so that the coals are white-hot but I used our barbeque.
- 8Serve on a bed of lettuce with Vietnamese fish sauce to dip. Side dish of rice or salad.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marinade: Grilled Chicken With Lemongrass & Chilli
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.3
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 207.5 mg
- Sodium 1341.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 50.7 g