Prep 5 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is a great marinade for kabobs, do not marinade the chicken for more than 5 hours or the lemon juice will start to *cook* the chicken. This recipe may be doubled to 10-12 breasts but prepare two separate marinades in two separate bowls, do not combine the doubled marinade into one bowl. Feel free to thread on you favorite veggies such as mushrooms, cherry tomatoes or whatever you desire! If you prefer a sweeter glaze then increase the honey by a couple tablespoons.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup honey (can use more) or 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup (can use more)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 large garlic cloves (sliced into thirds, or use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional) or 1 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- 6 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- In a bowl mix together the oil with soy sauce, honey, lemon juice, garlic slices, black pepper and cayenne.
- Place the chicken cubes in the bowl and toss to coat with the marinade.
- Cover and chill for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade.
- Pour marinade into a saucepan then remove the garlic slices and discard; boil for 10 minutes over medium-low heat (start timing the 10 minutes after boiling starts).
- Thread the chicken onto wooden skewers that have been soaked in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Place the skewers on a grill and cook for 18-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, basting with cooked marinade during the last 10-12 minutes of cooking.
I absolutely LOVED this recipe. I'm a beginner when it comes to grilling and decided to give this a try and spice things up. The usual go-to of Italian dressing wasn't cutting it anymore and I'm so glad I found this recipe. It was a huge hit with my family and I will be sharing it to all of my friends.
Well, I made this marinade last week for my wife. Now, I have to make it 2 more times this month because she thought it was my "best ever" chicken kabobs and shared it with family memebers!<br/>The family memebers now want me to make it for their special occasions coming up!<br/>I have a lot of cooking to do because of this recipe...........
thanks kittencalskitchen for posting this recipe, I made it tonight for myself and my husband and we both thought it was excellent. We did chicken skewers with zucchini, yellow squash, mushroom, and japanese eggplant and it was all delicious.