Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious, hearty soup shared by student from Ukraine during an international cooking demonstration while I was in grad school. No recipe but she graciously prepared the soup again for me in her kitchen while I estimated amounts. Despite initial reservations, my children love it. Even better when reheated as flavors blend more.
- 2 fresh beets, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 quarts chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 cup beans, of your choice (optional)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In large kettle containing broth, add beets, carrots, and celery; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage, bell pepper, tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, beans, and salt and pepper to taste; simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve hot with sour cream.
I have never tried borscht before and although I was interested in trying it, the beets intimidated me. This was one of the best soups I've ever had. It's fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing this.
i love hearty soups when its cold this one fit the bill thank you for posting